Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stuffed Hatch Chile Omelet

At last, hatch season is here again. It’s a great day when I arrive at the grocery store to find piles and piles of these seasonal green chiles from New Mexico. There’s a stack of hot chiles and a separate one of mild ones, and all the products made with the chiles are tucked into every corner of the store. Our local stores also roast the chiles, and you can buy them roasted whole or already chopped. I kind of enjoy watching them blister on the grill, so I tend to buy the fresh, raw chiles and roast them at home. During their short season, I’m perfectly content to just toss chopped, roasted hatch chiles into pretty much everything I cook, but this year I wanted to stuff some whole chiles too. I pondered what to use for stuffing and what to serve with the chiles for a few days, and then I stumbled upon this omelet recipe which answered both questions. This is from Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. The roasted, whole chiles are stuffed with goat cheese, and then they’re surrounded by eggs and cooked into a big omelet. Of course, the same concept could be achieved with stuffed poblanos or anaheim chiles, but it was particularly fun to use some beloved late summer hatch chiles in this.

I had already roasted some hatch chiles on the grill the night before I planned to make this omelet. So, all I had to do was peel the charred layer off the chiles, split each down one side, and remove the seeds. The cheese stuffing was a quick mix of crumbled goat cheese, chopped cilantro leaves, and sliced green onions. I doubled the original recipe and stuffed four chiles with the cheese mixture. The remaining cheese that didn’t fit in the chiles was whisked into six eggs. The stuffed chiles were placed in a saute pan with some melted butter and were warmed over medium heat. Then the whisked eggs were poured into the pan and all around the chiles. I thought ahead and realized the chiles might be a challenge to cut through when serving. So, I arranged the chiles with their tips pointing to the center so they would fit into four pieces of omelet without being cut. The eggs started cooking on the stovetop, and as soon as the omelet began to set, the saute pan was placed under the broiler until the omelet was golden and puffed.

I soon realized that this is not a particularly photogenic dish, but it was such a good idea I had to share it anyway. The stuffed chiles could have served as an hors d’oeuvre with some bread or tortillas, but they were divine in the omelet. The mild goat cheese with the fresh green onion and cilantro flavors mingling with the earthy, smoky chiles all embedded in a puffy omelet was genius. It was so simple but so delicious, and I never would have thought to do this myself.



28 comments:

  1. Lovely! That omelet is very special.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love omelettes. I often have them for dinner when I'm home alone. This one is amazing, its definitely taking the omelette to another level!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. stuffed chili in omelette sounds pretty delicious Lisa !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks absolutely incredible. And so simple but pretty! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky. I wonder how far north they ship these peppers? I am just above Montana and Wyoming. I would make a trip just to buy some. In the meantime, I have to be satisfied with some canned chiles I brought back from the U.S. last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This sure is taking the omelette to the next level isn't it?!! I'm not familiar with the hatch chilli - is it a particularly hot chilli? Its a great idea, love it.
    Have a great week. Cheers Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna: Hatch chiles can be mild or hot, but I think the mild variety is more common.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont think I've ever had a hatch chili...but I like my chilis hot personally :) I grew up eating those bird's eye (or Thai) chilis.
    Your omelet sound s pretty amazing though!
    p.s. good luck with the pistachio cake. Whole Foods carries a variety of pistachio: raw shelled, raw whole (what I got), roasted, salted, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen an omelette so beautiful. and I also love the addition of roasted chiles because I love spicy food :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hatch chiles and eggs are sublime! This looks delicious! (Last nite FN ran the B. Flay Throwdown for green chile cheeseburgers. Made me soooo hungry! The guy he challenged said they call them Big Jims in NM - just sharing...)
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a fabulous omelet! I have hatch chilies and will make this for lunch right away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered what to do with those chiles that I see in the huge bins at the market. I figured they were like poblanos but they have a much stronger "pepper" aroma (which is a good thing, to me). Now I know exactly what to make with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my kind of omelet: packed with flavor! Love the stuffed, roasted peppers. A perfect summer brunch recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the hatch chile has such a great reputation, but i haven't tried it myself. that's a shame, too, 'cause i love spicy peppers of all kinds. this egg concoction looks absolutely amazing--well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one fancy egg dish. I thought it was pretty enough just before I read the recipe details. But stuffing the peppers, too, just makes the dish even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow! That Deborah Madison is full of surprises. Actually, she lives in New Mexico so I'm not surprised that she knows her way around a chile. That being said, what a fabulous way to use a fabulous ingredient. I just used padron peppers last night for the first time and I am in love. I don't know if we get hatch up here but I will try this with poblanos if not. Yum Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm, how interesting! I am not always a huge chile fan. But my husband likes the spicy stuff so I bet he would like this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has to be one of the most unique and delicious ways I've ever seen chilies used! I am totally smitten and will have to come up with my own version as I can't find hatch chilies here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep hearing about these wonderful peppers that I have never tried! I know one thing for sure I would love to have that beautiful omelet! Thanks for such a wonderful post, hope you are enjoying this labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoa I would have never thought to stuff the chiles and THEN put them in the omelet! Great idea. Goat cheese sounds like it would do so well to offset the semi-spicy chiles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Lisa..when I opened this page, my eyes popped out of my head. That is one fierce looking omelet and the stuffed hatch chile peppers in it is killing me because I want it so badly! I would love to order some hatch chiles, if only just to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I do love Hatch peppers and this omelet sounds like a bit of breakfast heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  23. not photogenic???
    this makes me drooling all over my laptop now...
    will have to try making this dish, sounds like a great brunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow. yummy. i love eggplant yumm yumm.. cant get enough of this.. imma make one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. interesting way of preparing peppers, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just want to say... I am so envious of the hatch chiles. I covet some but they just can't be gotten here. Not the real thing, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG why did I think of an omelet with the Hatch Chiles I got? This is such a beautiful gourmet dish. Saving this idea till next year, for I think the chiles are gone.. not seeing them anymore here.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips